Monday, January 8, 2007

Hauling a Laptop Onboard

As a bicycle commuter I've always needed to have my laptop with me. Until now I've carried it in a backpack. This hasn't worked out too well for a number of reasons. First it makes my center of gravity too high; secondly, it makes my back sweaty on warmer days, thirdly, it doesn't allow my reflective vest to show on my back; and finally, when I wear my rain poncho, the backpack keeps the poncho from covering my seat and my bike seat.

I searched in local bike shops and online for a bike bag or set of panniers that would accommodate a laptop and provide protection from bumps and water. I found one that was pretty expensive but it was also too big and I'd have a hard time clearing my heals with it hanging on my bike rack. They do sell padded sleeves for laptops, but they didn't look sturdy enough and I'd probably need to add extra padding to keep the sleeve from bouncing around.

I finally decided on a DetoursTransit Tour set of panniers. They are water resistant not waterproof, but do come with waterproof covers that store in the top pocket of each pannier. They were also about the right size to accommodate some foam padding and my laptop.

I went to a local store that sells foam and they built a custom sleeve out of very dense polyurethane for only $7. They glued it together and I reinforced it with some duct tape. It fits like a glove into my pannier; and my laptop, in its tight-fitting neoprene cover and a plastic bag, fit snugly into the sleeve.

Here's link to photographs of the new bags and computer sleeve:

http://www.timgosswatercolors.com/panniers

No comments: